Teacher Training Opportunities
Bangkok has the largest concentration of teacher training institutes and some also offer TEFL courses in the main tourist areas such as Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.
CELTA Courses in Bangkok
- ECC is the oldest and most established of the CELTA training institutes in Thailand, and has branches in all major cities. It has recently relocated its main teacher training center from Siam Square to the 5th floor of Big C, opposite Central World Plaza, between Siam Square and Chitlom skytrain stations. ECC's CELTA course is priced at $1500 inclusive. Courses are run on a monthly basis and are also offered at their Chiang Mai and Phuket branch. Visit their website for more information. ECC
- Elite is the second training institute to offer CELTA courses in Bangkok Thailand. They run 5–6 courses a year and charge $1400 inclusive. Their teacher training center is located in Silom Road, one of Bangkok's biggest commercial centers. Visit their website, Elite Training Institute.
- A relative newcomer to Thailand, International House, part of the International House World Organization, is the fastest growing trainer of CELTA teachers in South East Asia. They offer teachers training in Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai. Its Bangkok CELTA course is $1500 and their center is based in Silom near the Saladang BTS Skytrain station. Chiang Mai and Phuket courses have special packages inclusive of accommodation, for $2195 and $2295 respectively. Visit International House Bangkok for more information.
Other TEFL/TESOL Teacher Training Courses in Bangkok
- Text and Talk is one of the most established Thai based training centers and accounts for a high percentage of TEFL graduates working in Thailand. Their Bangkok branch is in Phaholyothin road, near the IMAX cinema, and they also run courses in Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen. Priced at 690 GBP inclusive, their full-time course can also be taken part-time. For more information visit their website.
- SIT TESOL is a US based course offered by AUA Language Center, which has 21 branches throughout Thailand. The SIT course is held in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Its current cost is 50,000 baht. For more information visit their website.
- Chichester College Thailand offers full-time, part-time and distance learning courses. Its 120 hour full-time TESOL course (a combination of TESL and TESL) costs $1490 and is run at their state of the art training center near Suthisan metro (MRT) station. For more information visit their website.
Teaching Resources in Bangkok
Whatever course you choose, you will need additional resources to help you with your lesson planning and observed teaching practice. The British Council in Siam Square, on Chula Soi 64, has an excellent reference and lending library for teachers.
The Language Media Bookshop and Chulalongkorn University Books also in Siam Square are the main stockists for EFL teaching resources.
If you can, visit some of the language centers and ask to sit in on a class and talk to their trainees. This way you will be able to compare a number of courses and are in a better position to choose the most suitable teacher training institute for your needs.
Please note course prices are correct at the time of publication They may vary in accordance with exchange rates.
Return from Teacher Training to Bangkok Thailand home page